Custom Search

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Hero | Drawing of Father in 3.2 million ink dots | Video


Simply put, Miguel Endara, created a portrait of his dad by making 3.2 million dots on a piece of paper. Watch the video below, his patience is unbelievable and the result just beautiful.

 

Miguel Endara‘s Hero is an intricate portrait (to severely understate it) of his father created entirely out of ink dots, 3.2 million of them in fact. Yes that’s right, 3.2 million. This It puts any amateur drawings you might have done of your folks to shame. This self-produced video takes you through Miguel’s painstaking attention to detail as he recreates a portrait of his father in pointillism, using the humble dot alone. Completed over 210 hours, it’s an awe-inspiring feat as we follow the pen and dot count up, starting with the dark background to his father’s facial features—with every minute skin cell, wrinkle, hair and contour captured in hyper-real perfection.

From Miguel Endara

FAQ:
How did you count all the dots?
The number of dots is an approximation, not an exact number.  But it's a very very close approximation.  I filmed myself in just about every section of my drawing and got an average of 4.25 dots per second.  That translated into 3,213,000 dots if you multiplied that by 210 hours, which is what I logged in for the entire drawing.  Because I know it can't be exactly accurate, and because I think I might be off just a few thousand dots or so, I rounded it off to an even 3.2 million.

How long did this take?
I logged in exactly 210 hours of just stippling, but it took nearly one full year to complete from start to finish.

How many pens did you use?
Just one! I had many pens as backup, but I never had to use any of them. Go Sakura!

So, is this a Sakura Pigma Micron advertisement?
Absolutely not. They were not a part of the production of this video in any way.

What camera and software did you use?
All shots were done using the Canon EOS Rebel T1i (18-55 mm standard lens), and edited/rendered in After Effects CS4.

What equipment did you use for those panning shots and time-lapses?
I built all of my camera sliders and tracks using pvc pipes and rubber wheels that can be found in any local home improvement store. If you'd like to see how I built them, send me a message and I can send over some pictures of what they look like.

Is this piece for sale?
The original for "Hero" is currently not for sale, but the limited edition prints will be very soon. You can find out more information on this link: miguelendara.com/prints

Do you have more artwork?
Yes. But not too many. Because stippling is an extremely time-expensive process, I do not have a large collection of art pieces. More can be seen on my site at miguelendara.com.